Tuesday, June 07, 2005

Doomed or How I was Song-tagged into submission

Ok, Jabberwock, this is by far the cruelest-est thing you could ever do (even by your standards!) to me. For everyone else, I have to say this by way of introduction, almost each song I listen to means something deep in my heart. There’re just so many millions more, that it is heartrending to put in just these songs as the ‘chosen’ ones.

Total volume of music files on my computer: 2761

The last CD/cassette I bought was: Didn’t really buy this, but a friend gave me a CD full of Bengali rock music…

Songs playing right now: Somewhere only we know by Keane


Five songs that mean a lot to me: Ok, I am going to divide this into Hindi and English too. And by ‘Hindi’ I mean ANY language that is not English (and no, American songs don’t count)… I have to tell you this though, I am totally cheating here – call it dyscalcuaulia, but this list can NOT end at just 5!

'English'

  1. Black by Pearl Jam
  2. Romeo and Juliet – Indigo Girls
  3. Knocking on Heavens Door – Bob Dylan
  4. Lightning Crashes – Live
  5. The End – The Doors
  6. Coming Back to Life – Pink Floyd
  7. The Sounds of Silence – Simon N Garfunkel
  8. Move Over – Janis Joplin

'Non-English'

  1. Kya Hua Ek Baat Par – Amit Kumar
  2. Raasaathi – Srinivas (I think!) from Thiruda Thiruda
  3. Kandisa – Indian Ocean
  4. Ishq Mein Tere – Abida Parveen
  5. O Sanam – Lucky Ali
  6. Laaga Chunari Mein Daag – Manna Dey

…explanations for each by and by…and it is still SO not complete…ah well…

PS: For whoever invented this game – there’re so many more sub-sub-categories I can think of adding – top5 covers, OST, classical (genres can be a whole thing in itself)…and of course, you’re so going to fry in Hell.

5 Comments:

Blogger Jabberwock said...

Oh well, the "fry in hell" thing is a given anyway, for any of these restricted lists. You should've seen the gagging in the lit-bloggers' fraternity when they were asked to pick just 5 books that meant a lot to them. It wasn't a pretty sight.

Your list at least includes songs you've been gushing consistently about for years. Mine is deliberately eclectic, with the understanding that the entire list could be different at another time of day.

07 June, 2005 11:09  
Blogger illusions said...

what? no Bob Marley!!!!!!!

You You...You Israelite! Ja Rastafarian

07 June, 2005 14:20  
Blogger Straight Curves said...

Jabberwock: The attempt to de-ecelectic-ize it was deliberate. Thank gawd it (apparently!) worked!

Illusions: Einstein! (as ever)

07 June, 2005 15:36  
Blogger Nikhil Pahwa said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

12 June, 2005 15:41  
Blogger Nikhil Pahwa said...

Coo!

A
E
P.s.: I'm back. And it's up.No pun intended. Ha Ha Ha :P

Also, I find that kajrare song rather irritating...in the sense that wherever you go, they keep playing it over and over again. Overkill. At Dublin, last night, the DJ played Sweet Child O'Mine, Summer of 69, We will rock you and THEN Kajrare. I mean...ab main kya kahoun about the transition. *slaps forehead*

12 June, 2005 15:44  

Post a Comment

<< Home