Tuesday, July 19, 2005

A Voyeur’s View

Background: On Friday, I was at a friend’s place for a house-warming dinner thingy. I had been experiencing this mild discomfort-ish feeling I my abdomen for the last three days and the feeling continued at the do.

Suddenly, towards the latter half of the evening, I developed what I can best describe as a series of shooting pains in my abdomen area. These rapidly increased in intensity and in well, the periodicity of occurrence. They worsened enough for me to have to leave the party soon enough.

The unbelievably voyeuristic part: While in the car on my way home (a friend was dropping me) coupled with dealing with the pain et all, I had thoughts like “What if I am dying and no one, not even me, knows it?” I then proceeded to rationalize it by telling myself, “I walked on my own to the car so I can’t be…but what if I am stronger than most other people and therefore, I could still be dying!”

In retrospect, this conversation threw up a whole series of questions about who/what kind of a person I am:

  • Is it ‘media influence’ or have I always been this way?
  • Does this sort of thing apply to others’ lives too?
  • Am I the kind of person all those MMS’s and taped conversations are targeted at?
  • Worse, is the TOI written for people like me?

A (read: escapist) part of me doesn’t even want to know the answers for fear of what they might reveal. Life crap is.

7 Comments:

Blogger Once the Conman said...

Your mind really goes wild now doesn't it.
Weird tangents...

19 July, 2005 18:20  
Blogger Once the Conman said...

The pain in your abdomen made you think of TOI??? Lol...
I have a reason to believe that I have something to do with this.

19 July, 2005 18:21  
Blogger Straight Curves said...

Yes: my mind is indeed weird and this is the elast of it.

noooo! LOL! though, in another way and on another day TOI could certainly be linked to weird feelings in my stomach!

serious: the bullet list of questions were stuff that happened mucho later. the questions when I was in pain only centered around me dying or something...

19 July, 2005 18:28  
Blogger Jabberwock said...

Hey, didn't completely get the "voyeuristic" bit - how does that tie in with the abdomen pain?

And Rohit, why do you "have a reason to believe you have something to do with this"? You weren't with the Slimes of India, were you?

20 July, 2005 10:29  
Blogger Straight Curves said...

voyeur=the almost (in some wierd way) glee/excitedness with whoch the back and forth conversation about dying was happening in between the pain.

20 July, 2005 13:54  
Blogger Jabberwock said...

Err...this back-and-forth conversation was happening in your own mind, right? So how was it voyeuristic exactly? Or maybe one of us needs to look up the meaning of that word again. Or maybe I need to install the latest updates on my “Guide to Understanding Smita’s Mind” :D

BTW, will be posting something soon on how no blogger I know (not a single one!) can spell the word “weird” right. Weird.

20 July, 2005 14:18  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

is there a 'double one'? "not one" would suffice, no? a, single, one - redundant... :)

20 July, 2005 16:43  

Post a Comment

<< Home