Friday, August 11, 2006

Some Travel (and allied misc.) Myths busted

So, my first day at Columbus, OHIO just got over and here's a couple of things that happened and which lead to this post.
  1. Non-stop/direct flights are more psychologically overwhelming than in reality - they don't feel any more/less than say the typical eight-hour stretch (the ones with stopovers in Europe). I flew by Continental and I LOVED the airlines services per se. (Of course, after the nightmare of the Lufthansa experience, ANY airline would do better!)
  2. You do actually save good time on these flights - I left at a very-decent-for-an-international-flight 10:45 pm and landed in Newark Airport at 4:10 am. Hell, even US Customs hadn't opened shop then! What could better that! (Of course, I was HELL lucky to have scraped the new terrorist threat by minutes and so, didn't have to bear with extra-suspicious looks for being brown skinned.)
  3. IGI Airport has spruced up security since the Mumbai blasts - It took me precisely an hour and a half just to get to the wait-to-board stage and even while I was boarding, they stopped to question me and check my hand baggage again! At any rate, I was altogether too enthusiastic about any checks which could be construed as super suspicious. (Of course, my uber terrorist looks could have something to do with that...)
  4. It is always good to double check with Americans about the simplest/most seemingly obvious of matters - I had specifically booked a smoking room in my hotel and after they hand me the keys, I just thought I would check and hey! it was a non-smoking room (and of course, as any smoker who has not smoked in the last 18 hours would tell you, the blasphemy of this beats any terrorist threat any day!)
  5. Never wear fawn colored trousers and eat a huge tuna melt sandwich and be greedy about nicotine at the same time - the results are three huge splotches of tomato juice mixed with mayo and half a workday with tsk! tsk! looks...in any country really! (Of course, you could just pretend to be from Pakistan at this point)
  6. If anyone tells you "you speak very good English (for an Indian)" - just smile smugly and do not offer any explanations about the general standard of the language being infinitely better than these insular people would like to believe...especially if you are about to be introduced to some Indian techies in the same office soon after. (Of course, this is the perfect opportunity to lend credibility to the 'I-am-from-Pakistan' story.)
  7. Columbus is oh-kayy - I am guessing the New England area spoiled me and so the Midwest looks like bleak farmland in comparison. Though, I have to admit, things are MUCH cheaper here than over there. (Of course, the view from my window is anything BUT farmland...every great store you could think of is all within arm's distance. Now, if only I had the money...)

...and now for day 2...

(PS: I have a feeling my blog is going to disappear of many a country's blogosphere at this rate...ah well)

7 Comments:

Blogger neo said...

Great to hear that you are finally there and well settled. Do let us know when you meet APPU there, since you are in Columbus!! And Sonu Nigam also had a song..it goes something like this... "Columbus .. columbus.." - rest was nonsense , so I dont remember. And yes, say a BIG hi to all the storekeepers of the big stores who are at "arm's distance" Probably invite 'em over for an arm-wrestling match when you feel bored! And take care of yourself...Keep writing!

11 August, 2006 15:56  
Blogger Mickey said...

Waving "Hi - Welcome back to America!" at you from the state above (separated by several hundred miles of the accurately described bleak farmland).

Enjoy your visit and the perfect weather (it seems to have timed it's arrival just so it could meet you).

12 August, 2006 21:44  
Blogger Straight Curves said...

CHHHHEEEEEE!!! :D

tor chicago sojourn e ki holo? kobe/kokhun? you write, man!

12 August, 2006 22:37  
Blogger Straight Curves said...

MM: hey thanks!

say, where are you?? the state above? Michigan?
...or Indiana or Maryland or W Viginia or entucky! :D

which one is it?

...and here's waving a big HULL-LOW right back at ya!

13 August, 2006 07:32  
Blogger Mickey said...

I am in Michigan. Which, according to people who live here, is supposed to be much better than Ohio.

But I don't think I agree. I think they are both equally bad places to call home.

But Michigan does have Detroit - and Detroit is a **very** cool city - despite all the crack houses. And packs of roaming wild dogs. And guns.

Hope you had a fun, productive visit.

15 August, 2006 22:59  
Blogger Beth Loves Bollywood said...

Hi from the midwest - give it a chance, you might really like it here! And watch for the shifting colors as summer turns to fall - it really is lovely, I promise, even if subtly so. I came over here from Green Says Go. And if you're ever in the mood for a roadtrip to Chicago, let me know if you want some company for some Bollywood on the big screen!

18 August, 2006 20:57  
Blogger Straight Curves said...

MM: Ahhh...will keep that in mind! *makes mental note* and hey, am still here...most likely until November, so the visit continueth...productive or not, I can't tell! :)

Beth: Hiya! and may I take the opportunity to welcome you to my humble blog and inform you that I am a...err... fan! :) Yeah, I have read your blog and you are responsible for so many stitches on my sides that I should like, send you a notice or something!!

anyway, keep writing and thanks for dropping by! :)

21 August, 2006 09:04  

Post a Comment

<< Home