Tuesday, February 14, 2006

ground zenith - part I

oh boy. oh boy. oh boy.

As you can see, I am back from NYC after not just an exhilararting-for-various-reasons weekend but also with an extra day off thanks to the 'Blizzard of 06' - to which I was a personal witness! :)

Do I sound like a star struck tourist? Well, for the first time ever, I actually felt hopelessly like one - it's like being a teenager all over again and suddenly coming face to face with your crush or something!

Yes, I had heard loads about NYC and all sorts of extreme opinions over time - and as track records go hype always kill-eth - but nothing, nothing prepared for me for what I saw, felt, and experienced in this truly great city and amazingly enough, it was ALL good.

The first picture is what comes closest to the first view I had of the city - this is the first instance of manmade inanimate objects inspiring some kinda awe - I mean, mountains have done and do so all the time - high rise concrete is not supposed to be in the same .

(I didn't take this picture was impossible to do so from behind the Greyhound windows.)- it's from
this website)



So, my Friday night adventure began with my friends picking me up at the Port Authority Bus station and from thereon we went walking all over the city.

Guess who (/what) we almost immediately 'ran into'?



(from L to R - Rakhee, Samuel L. Jackson, Smita)

After this quite unusual start to the tour, we walked by the usual sights n sounds. These included:



Turning my back to Times Square



saying hello to David Letterman and ESPN (not in picture)



playing watch-other-people-skate-and-laugh at the Rockefeller Center



meeting some other Indians



horsing around in general

...and then we went to a pub that played live music - next post that - so watch this space for more...

7 Comments:

Blogger Jabberwock said...

Uncle Samuel doesn't look too happy. Hope you weren't babbling to him about baby octopuses or going off on general Smits-onian stream-of-consciousness rant.

14 February, 2006 17:58  
Blogger Straight Curves said...

You know what? I actually did talk about all those things and about how he should try visiting Providence sometime, and then I even tried asking him about 'Freedomland' - his new movie but the man just wuldn't look my way!

what's a girl to do next? :(

15 February, 2006 02:21  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Great pictures though a tribute to the twin towers would have been apt.

16 February, 2006 22:55  
Blogger Jabberwock said...

Also, I'm not sure Mr Jackson would take kindly to being referred to as "Who (/what)"

18 February, 2006 12:01  
Blogger Straight Curves said...

Jai:

breaking news

that is a wax model of samuel l. jackson. It is not him like, living, breathing, and certainly not conversing.

I hope you will rest in piece now.

18 February, 2006 12:07  
Blogger Straight Curves said...

Hiren: I did go to and take pictures of Ground Zero. watch out for future installments and thanks for dropping by! :)

20 February, 2006 01:33  
Blogger Mickey said...

Your NY experience sounds much like my own first visit there. Particularly Greenwich Village and imagining the ghost of a young Bob Dylan ambling down Bleeker Street. :o)

I am greatly enjoying reading through your blog's back pages (you should write more!).

26 July, 2006 18:24  

Post a Comment

<< Home